Success for cashless welfare card in East Kimberley

Written on the 6 November 2016

Malcolm Turnbull will consider rolling out the cashless welfare card widely after [a recent trial in the East Kimberley and South Australia].

The card, which quarantines 80 per cent of a person's welfare benefits on a cashless card and leaves them 20 per cent in cash, was introduced in Ceduna on March 15 and in Western Australia's East Kimberley on April 26.

A report, due to be released today, found the use of the card has significantly cut homelessness at both trial sites.


The number of people admitted to a ­sobering-up unit in Wyndham, in the Kimberley, fell by 69 per cent from April to September. Domestic violence incid­ent reports were down 13 per cent from April to July, but general ­assaults slightly increased.


Source: The Australian

Upcoming Events

Latest news

Matso's Acquired by Gage Roads Brewing

The Peirson-Jones family are delighted to announce that we have agreed to sell Matso's Broome Brewery (Matso's) to Gage Roads Brewing Co (ASX:GRB), one of Australia's leading independent craft brewers. The agreement will see the Matso's range become an integral part of Gage Roads' portfolio of well-known craft beers an...

Read More

Articles via RSS rss

Sign Up for the latest news & events

Does your business attract, recruit and retain staff by offering employment or work experience to young Aboriginal employees?
CLICK HERE to become a Working Together Employer of Choice.



We are located at:

6 Napier Tce
(behind the Westpac bank)
WA 6725

Chamber office hours

Monday: 10am - 3pm
Tuesday: 10am - 2pm
Wednesday: 10am - 3pm
Thursday: 10am - 2pm
Friday: 10am - 2pm

Please ring for an appointment


(08) 9193 5553

After Hours

0410 967 509